Tuesday, July 12, 2011

brothers and sisters

Maddie, Mandy, Ian and Duncan
We spent the day a couple weekends ago at my daughter's.  Just a day around the pool.  One of those days in your life where you slow down a little bit and just enjoy the moments you have together as a family.  The moments pass quickly though, and soon everyone is scattering in all directions like a dandelion blown apart by a puff of wind.

But oh! those glorious moments together.  Those are the bits and pieces of life that sustain you, that give sweetness to your old age as you remember the days.  Even now, I think of times spent with my mom's family, and my dad's, and it brings a smile to my face and warmth to my heart.  Such sweet memories.

As I watched the kids playing together, I was thinking of similar times with my cousins as a child.  Oh, the fun we had.  Life was simple, and I had no worries or cares.  I just enjoyed the moment.  I lived in the moment, never thinking about time past, or what would come tomorrow.  Never realizing how fast those moments were speeding by, until they were over.

The twins were overjoyed to see their older brother and sister that day.  Maddie spent over an hour, maybe two, sitting on the back of the couch looking out the window, waiting for her older brother Ian to arrive.  Ian had been gone (he's Air Force now, stationed overseas) and Maddie hadn't seen him for 2 years.  She had trouble sleeping the night before, and it wasn't because of the long nap she had.  It was because she was so excited that Ian was coming.  Do you remember being that excited as a child?  So overwhelmed you couldn't sleep?  I do, and watching Maddie, I understood every emotion she was having.

It made me think about the unique relationship we have with our siblings.  And how blessed I am to have two sisters of my own.

As I photographed the kids together, I realized that even though my daughter and her ex-husband are no longer married, they have 4 kids that love each other, and that will never change.  Four kids who have a stretch of years between them, but are close to each other in a way only brothers and sisters can be.  And I am thankful for that.

~cath xo
Twitter @jonesbabie