Monday, August 8, 2011

a year ago

It's been a year today since I published my first "real" blog post.  You can read about Kayla's lipstick adventure here.

When I first published that post, I did it so I would have it to remember.  It was a moment in my life I wanted to have saved to a spot that was more than just a memory in my head.  I enjoyed that little bit of time with Kayla so much, I wanted to save it so that someday she could read it and see how much fun we had that day.

After I first hit that publish button, something happened to me.  I got a sense of pleasure from it, for sure.  But I also got a sense of continuity, of being able to have a bit of my thoughts out there for my family to read, and maybe laugh at, and just enjoy.

Because that is what life is really about.  Bits and pieces, memories and moments, laughter and tears.  That is also what families are about.  It is the thread that ties us together.  It is the bond that gives us strength.  Familia, always there, and continuing on from one generation to another.

So as I started recording my thoughts, my feelings about this blogging experience gelled.  And I began to realize that I wanted these thoughts of mine to be something my grandchildren could have when I am gone.  My legacy.  What made Grammy more than just Grammy.

And so I kept blogging.  And posting photos, thoughts, haiku verse, and anything that passed my mind.  Occasionally I have ranted.  I am not a ranter by nature, but some things just touch a nerve in me, and when I feel strongly about something, I try to respond in a way that is ultimately positive.  You can read a rant of mine here (about prejudice), and another one here (about self worth).

But mostly my thoughts are just that...whatever crosses my mind.  Not interesting enough to turn into a book (I have absolutely NO desire to author a book).  And I have no desire to develop a huge fan base and turn my blog into a mega blog.

The thing that has surprised me most?  As I read my way through other blogs, I have met some amazing people online.  People with interesting things to share, who are fun to discuss ideas with, and who have helped me grow as a person.

So what has happened over this year?  I have evolved, and have seen myself change the way I think and look at things.  I have discovered the world of blogging, and how much darn fun it can be.  I have not let it take over my life, but it does take a pretty hefty chunk of it.

And the bottom line?  My thoughts are here.  For Maddie Kate, Jack, Duncan, and John.  It has served the purpose I intended it to serve.  And I plan to keep on sharing my thoughts, one by one.

Thank you to all of you who have read my blog.  I would be lying if I didn't say it was one of the nicest surprises about blogging.  I am still amazed every day that there are people like YOU out there who think these thoughts of mine are worth taking the time to read.  I appreciate every comment I get.  And I plan to be doing this for a long time to come.

My journey continues...sharing my thoughts...share yours with me...

~cath xo
Twitter @jonesbabie

18 comments:

  1. You are not alone on that journey, but it's clear you know that. Thanks for sharing your thoughts and poetry and photos with us - it helps light our way. We have all grown a bit as well.

    Congratulations one your first anniversary.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember that day with you, Kayla and the lipstick. I love to read them again as I have many of your posts. I think she will get a kick out of it when she is older. I don't blog but I have a book I scribble my thoughts down in whenever the moment strikes me. Maybe they will have a good laugh when they read it years from now. Well I hope it is years from now, lol...love your blog sissy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations on your first year! It's quite the milestone, isn't it? I remember hitting that, feeling quite proud that I had actually kept up with it.

    Here's to many more! I'll check around and see what I've been missing. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. :-) never quit writing! XOXO

    ReplyDelete
  5. The blogging world looks forward to many more of your posts.... Keep sharing those precious thoughts

    ReplyDelete
  6. Happy Anniversary Cath! Looking forward to much more to come! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. A year ago you began the journey of sharing your heart, not only as a legacy for your children, but to share your wonderful life with others – and we are blessed all the more because of it.
    And that is one adorable work of art! Wishing you many years ahead of life sharing, dear Cath.

    ReplyDelete
  8. @Thom Brown your comments humble me Thom...thanks so very much.
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  9. @Vix that was one of my very favorite memories...her enthusiasm was so contagious! Keep scribbling sissy, your grandkids will love you for doing it one day. (I started several books of scribblings but always got sidetracked with life...the blog seems to work better for me.)
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  10. @Davethanks Dave! It is a milestone I never thought I would reach!

    I appreciate your comments!

    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. @dooj the stooge I don't think I will stooj...it is becoming like breathing to me...necessary. :D
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  12. @Savira Gupta thank you so much for the comment and encouragement!
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  13. @Beckey thanks Beckey...makes me wonder where I will be a year from now! :D
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  14. @Debra thank you so much Debra...having been a fan of your wonderful writing for quite some time now, I appreciate the comment even more!
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  15. Congratuations Cath on your first year. Your blog is wonderful and I join with the others in hoping you will continue to share your thoughts, warmth and kindness. I, for one, have benefitted from these. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm happy you are on this journey and that I found you. Thanks for sharing your life with the rest of us, your online/blogging 'family' and continuing to enrich our lives in the process.

    ReplyDelete
  17. @hocam thank you so very much Mary. But I think I have gained so much more than I have given. And I cherish knowing you.
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete
  18. @Joy Page Manuel thanks Joy, but as I just told Mary, you all have added so much more to my life than I have given back. The karma is good!
    ~cath xo

    ReplyDelete