Thursday, October 20, 2011

oh say can you see?

Stevie Wonder and I are sitting on the couch. I am wondering what the heck I am going to post about tonight. I'm drowsy and drifting into lala land as we are watching television. Tonight is the first night of the World Series and even though we are watching CSI, I know Stevie Wonder has the game on his mind.

He begins to hum softly to himself. Then he breaks out into song, sotto voce. But I hear the words.

Me: What are you singing?
Him: (to the tune of the American National Anthem)...ohhhh say, can you see, any red bugs on me? If you dooo, pick a few, and we'll have red bug stew...
Me: When did you hear that?
Him: When I was about 7 years old.

I look at him like he's grown two heads. He smirks at me in his knowing, smart ass way and says:

"Hmmmph, you thought after all these years you'd heard everything I knew. Surprised you, didn't I?"

I won't tell him the only thing that surprised me was that he can remember that and sing it, but he can't pronounce Milla Jovovich ("Milla Jobobich, Milla Jovobich" was his personal best effort).

Sure I was surprised. So much, I laughed until I peed my pants.

~cath xo

No comments:

Post a Comment