Thursday, May 3, 2012

relaxed housewife: assembly required

Many times Stevie Wonder and I have bought something that said "assembly required", and opened the box to find that it was going to take a rocket scientist to assemble the object because:

1) it had a thousand parts
2) the directions sounded and looked like gibberish

Luckily I am married to a rocket scientist, at least where assembling stuff is required.  We made it through our childrens' formative years and managed to assemble various bikes and riding vehicles, as well as a swing set, along the way.  (Part of the satisfaction of being a parent is watching our two oldest go through the same thing with their kids.  I always grin and breathe a sigh of relief, knowing I did my time in the assembly trenches.)

Imagine my wonder the other day after purchasing a small easel, that said those dreaded words on the front of the package, and included instructions with photos in the insert.  Then something caught my eye.  There were no loose parts in the package.  No envelope or bag of screws.  Nothing.  So I removed the easel from the bag and opened the instructions.  This is what happened next:
step one, step two, step three.  easy peasy.




Yep, the assembly required taking it out of the package, opening it up, and standing it up.  Step 1-3 showed photos of the assembled easel from different angles.

Moral of the story: If you pay your dues as an assembling parent, sometimes the assembly gods smile on you.  Sarcastically.

life is good...
~cath xo
Twitter @jonesbabie

4 comments:

  1. I used to have a computer science colleague who had previously worked for NASA. He had a t-shirt that read "I AM a rocket scientist."

    Great easel, btw!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that Thom! What a laugh he must have had on people. :D

      I hope to use the easel as a pattern for others. It is nice and solid.

      Delete
  2. Perfect Cath, and by the way what size canvas does that hold and where
    did you find it? I had to laugh at this blog entry, been there and done that!
    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We figure it will hold an 8X8 easily. I figure we can make them bigger or smaller too. Now the piano part is finding canvas to fit it...that's your job. I scoped a few out, so I know they are out there. Stevie Wonder is fixin' to start a second job and doesn't know it. (Easel-builder extraordinaire.) :D

      Delete