Thursday, November 29, 2012

the holes in my heart

Grandma, Grandpa, and the Aunts, Unc and Mum
When we are young we think we are immortal.  Death is unknown to us, and we think it can't touch us.  Every now and then, when someone we know dies a young death, we are shocked into feeling our mortality for a moment.  Then the shock passes, and we move on, busy with living our lives, and not wont to dwell on death and the uncomfortable thought that maybe we too, are susceptible.

Then middle age hits, or in my case, older middle age.  (Because who truly knows what middle age is as the population lives longer every year?)  And suddenly, we are losing people we love, that we never thought would leave us.  But they do.

Tonight I found out another person I loved has passed from this life.  Aunt Judy.  And though I have thought of her over the years, I never thought she would pass from this world.

Before her passed my other mother, my mother in law, of whom there will never be an equal. Before my other mother was Aunt Joan.  And before that was my dad.  Before him my wonderful Aunt Irene.  And before that was my father in law, my other dad, John B.  Before that was my Grammy.  Before Grammy was my Grandpa, and my Grandma after him, and before that was my step mother, a gentle soul who showed me kindness and love when I was so homesick I thought I would die.  There have been other family members and loved ones, but these people impacted my life and changed me as a person.  And with their deaths, I changed again.

I have lost, but I have also gained.  And learned life's most valuable lesson.
my sisters laughter and love is contagious

Live every moment.  Be aware of those moments.  Once gone, they cannot be regained.  All you will have left is what your mind and heart capture in memories.

Don't waste a single moment.  There will be no chance to relive them.  So live them, savor them.  Open your eyes and look.  Feel.  Taste.  Smell.  Touch.  And love each moment, each day as though they were your last.

My life is better for having Aunt Judy and my other family in it.  They can't be replaced.  Aunt Judy was unique, there was no one else like her, and never will be.

They have left holes in my heart that can never be filled.

...life is truly good. ~cath
find me @jonesbabie on Twitter

12 comments:

  1. She was a wonderful Aunt, sweet memories of her. Love you sissy, xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh girl....this brought tears to my eyes .....xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. sometimes what comes up in my mind just comes right on out...no polish or planning...this was that kind of post...thanks gf xo

      Delete
  3. Such a lovely post- left me with a lump in my throat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful words, beautiful thoughts, beautiful meaning.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Fran. These words weren't thought out or planned, they just happened. I appreciate your comments.

      Delete
  5. It is so important to live in the present. I have lost loved ones before I got to do certain things with them, and I would give much to have the chance again. Thanks for the poignant reminder.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly Thom. You can't go back. I saw my Dad weep with regret before his death, and swore then I would never have regrets. No regrets.

      Thanks for your words.

      Delete
  6. I nominated you for the Leigster Award! Love your blog. Read all about it at http://laurelsquill.blogspot.com/2012/12/blogging-award.html. Have agreat day!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel! I am way behind on my blog life, but will check it out and reply soon!

      Delete